Building Safety Mission Statement: To provide permitting, inspection, enforcement and information products to the residents and visitors of the Town of Smyrna, so they can experience safer buildings and improved quality of life. (Click here to read about our Strategic Goals.)
The Codes and Building Safety department provides three primary functions to the residents, employees and visitors of Smyrna.
If you would like to report a possible codes violation, please click here for an online form.
Adoption of New Building Codes
Effective February 01, 2019
- 2018 International Building Code
- 2018 International Residential Code
- 2018 International Plumbing Code
- 2018 International Mechanical Code
- 2018 International Fuel Gas Code
- 2018 International Property Maintenance Code
- 2018 International Fire Code
- 2018 International Energy Conservation Code
- 2018 International Swimming Pool and Spa Code
- 2018 International Existing Building Code
- 2017 National Electric Code
(The above codes can be obtained from the International Codes Council, 800.877.2224, www.iccsafe.org
For residential contractors, you can see a summary of the significant changes from the 2012 IRC to the 2018 IRC by clicking here.
All Building Permit Fees, Impact Fees and Tap Fees are required to be paid at the time permit is issued. Each fee requires full payment by separate check.
Obtaining a permit also involves the purchase of a business license in some situations.
No permit will be issued without presenting one of the following:
- A copy of your current business license
- or a business license release form obtained from the Treasury Dept.
For further information call (615) 459-2553.
Monday-Friday: 7:00am - 6:00pm
Saturday: 8:00am - 6:00pm
While the Town of Smyrna does not prohibit construction debris being burned, (as long as it is in compliance with the Smyrna Fire Department requirements), please be considerate to surrounding residents of when, where and the weather (wind) when doing open burning.