To adhere to CDC recommendations regarding Covid-19, the Town of Smyrna Department of Building Safety has the following new policies, procedures and recommendations:
The following changes will take effect immediately for all inspections performed, until further notice.
- Framing, Insulation and Final Inspections of Dwelling Units (Including townhomes): Until further notice, before a Town of Smyrna Inspector enters the structure, all others must exit the structure and remain outside until the inspector completes his inspection.
- Interior Renovations and Additions of Occupied Structures: Until further notice, we are limiting performing interior inspections. However, if your project requires an inspection in order to provide gas, water, sewage, or electricity to the unaltered portion of the building, please contact Steve Smith at 615-355-5704 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Substandard Housing Inspections of Occupied Structures: Until further notice, the Town is not conducting interior inspections. However feel free to contact Steve Smith at 615-355-5704 or email email@example.com with any needed clarification on this notice.
The Town is encouraging those in need of a permit to use the online portal for permit applications
We encourage everyone to use our online services as much as possible. Our staff will be glad to assist you in any manner. A guide to the online system is detailed below.
While Town Hall is closed to the public, our office continues to be available to answer questions via phone, 8:00 am to 4:30 pm, Monday through Friday, 615-355-5704.
We hope to resume our traditional inspections and processes as soon as possible. These unusual measures are in response to COVID-19 and are for the safety of the citizens and Town employees.
Please let us know if you have any questions. We thank you for your understanding.
Smyrna Department of Building Safety
315 S. Lowry St.
Smyrna, TN 37167
Guide for using the Town of Smyrna Online Portal for Permits and Inspections.
Residential New Construction Permits, and Residential Electric Permits: The Town will continue to receive “paper” and email permit applications, in addition these permits may be obtained on-line. Please go to:
Applications may be made after you create an account. If you have any problems or questions, please contact us. We will be happy to assist in any way.
After you have logged in, the first screen will look like this. Select “Submit a new application”.
Then select the following:
“Building Permits, Residential”,
Then select "Bldg Permit, Residential, 1-Fam House”.
You will then be prompted to enter your information as shown below.
Contractors: Contractors should find their contractor name from the drop-down list.
For Data Group: You will need to enter the requested information.
For Related Docs: Please provide your Worker’s Comp insurance, Smyrna Business License, and Adequate Facilities Tax receipt.
We will notify you about making payment for permits.
For Commercial Permits: The first step for a commercial permit is to request a plan review. Please mail us your electronic plans at the address below, the plan review request form, and an appropriate check for the plan review. Once the plans have been approved, you’ll be notified about obtaining the building permit.
For Sign Permits: To obtain a sign permit or any questions pertaining to signage contact Mitch Wensman at 615-355-5706 or email: Mitchell.firstname.lastname@example.org
For Inspections: Inspections must be requested at least 1 day in advance. Inspections can be requested by telephone at 615-355-5704, or online at www.townofsmyrna.org/departments/building-codes.
Thank you again for your patience and understanding as we work to keep our personnel and citizens safe.
Building Safety Mission Statement: To provide permitting, inspection, enforcement and information products to the residents and visitors of the Town of Smyrna, so they can experience safer buildings and improved quality of life. (Click here to read about our Strategic Goals.)
The Codes and Building Safety department provides three primary functions to the residents, employees and visitors of Smyrna.
If you would like to report a possible codes violation, please click here for an online form.
Adoption of New Building Codes
Effective February 01, 2019
- 2018 International Building Code
- 2018 International Residential Code
- 2018 International Plumbing Code
- 2018 International Mechanical Code
- 2018 International Fuel Gas Code
- 2018 International Property Maintenance Code
- 2018 International Fire Code
- 2018 International Energy Conservation Code
- 2018 International Swimming Pool and Spa Code
- 2018 International Existing Building Code
- 2017 National Electric Code
(The above codes can be obtained from the International Codes Council, 800.877.2224, www.iccsafe.org
For residential contractors, you can see a summary of the significant changes from the 2012 IRC to the 2018 IRC by clicking here.
All Building Permit Fees, Impact Fees and Tap Fees are required to be paid at the time permit is issued. Each fee requires full payment by separate check.
Obtaining a permit also involves the purchase of a business license in some situations.
No permit will be issued without presenting one of the following:
- A copy of your current business license
- or a business license release form obtained from the Treasury Dept.
For further information call (615) 459-2553 extension 2506.
Monday-Friday: 7:00am - 6:00pm
Saturday: 8:00am - 6:00pm
While the Town of Smyrna does not prohibit construction debris being burned, (as long as it is in compliance with the Smyrna Fire Department requirements), please be considerate to surrounding residents of when, where and the weather (wind) when doing open burning.