Can I find out if there is a sex offender living near me?
Do I need to register my alarm for my home/business?
No. There is no need in the Town of Smyrna to register your alarm, but there is an alarm ordinance. For more than three false alarms in a calendar year, whether set off intentionally, accidentally, or due to malfunction of the alarm system, a citation will be issued.
I would like someone from the Police Department to come give a talk to a group/start a neighborhood watch.
Call (615) 4596644 and ask for Captain Bobby Gibson. He will gladly arrange the proper person for your group/neighborhood watch.
I would like to compliment an officer/employee for a job well done. How do I do that?
You can call (615) 459?6644 and ask to speak to that employee’s supervisor or you can send an email to the Chief of Police.
I would like to learn more about the Smyrna Police Department. How do I do that?
Once a year we host a Citizens Police Academy where citizens can learn more about the job and the duties of all the personnel at the Police Department. It is held in January, so check our website often to see when applications are being accepted. You must pass a criminal background check to be approved.
I would like to make a complaint on an officer. How do I do that?
If you wish to make a complaint about the actions of a Smyrna police officer or about any aspect of Smyrna police operations, please do one of the following:

  • Come to the Police Department, 400 Enon Springs Road East, and tell any employee that you want to make a complaint.
  • Call the Police Department, (615) 459?6644, and tell the dispatcher answering the phone that you want to make a complaint.
  • Come by the Police Department and fill out a formal complaint form.

Any Smyrna Police Department supervisor will assist you in completing a complaint against a police officer. You will be asked to identify yourself and then to give specific details about your complaint.

Your complaint will then be investigated. You may be contacted and asked additional questions about your complaint. If it is going to take a long period of time to investigate your complaint, you will receive a letter telling you approximately when you may expect a reply.

When your complaint has been investigated, the Chief of Police will review the investigation and will write you a letter explaining what has been found out about the matter.
I would like to report a crime or a traffic issue. How do I do that?
Call (615) 459?6644, and a dispatcher will take your information and dispatch appropriate personnel to your scene. You can remain anonymous but realize our phone lines are recorded and can be public record. If this is an emergency, please call 911.
My vehicle has been impounded or seized. How do I retrieve it?
When the vehicle was seized, you were given a State of Tennessee Notice of Property Seizure and Forfeiture of Conveyances form. Halfway down the page is Category I – Narcotics Related. This paragraph explains that if you choose to file for your interest in the property, you will have to do so with the Department of Safety, Legal Division, which is located at 1150 Foster Avenue, Nashville, TN.
The first thing that will happen is that you will receive a letter in the mail from the Department of Safety that you will have to sign. From the date you sign for this letter, you will have 30 days to file a claim. A claim is filed with the Department of Safety with the payment of a cost bond which is $350. This can only be paid with a money order or cashier’s check. If you cannot afford to pay the bond, you will be able to file a pauper’s oath. The Department of Safety will determine if you qualify for this.
After you have filed, there are two ways you can handle your case. One way is to simply wait for your court date. The other way is to contact Captain Todd Spearman of the Detective Division and attempt to reach a settlement. This settlement must be approved by a Judge. If you wish to settle your seizure, please call Police Captain John Liehr at (615) 267?5013, Monday through Friday. He will gladly explain the process to you.
Where can I pick up a copy of a police report?
You can come to the Police Department which is located at the Justice Center, 400 Enon Springs Road East, between the hours of 8:00am and 4:00pm Monday through Friday excluding holidays. There is a small charge of fifteen cents per page. If it is an accident report, please allow three days from the date of the accident to get your copy.
Why do I see multiple patrol cars on a wreck?
On most cases involving an accident, there is a large amount of work to do in regards to drawing the accident to scale. By scale, we mean making sure all measurements are correct and that it reflects the correct speed and what the vehicles were doing before, during and after the impact.
We realize this inconveniences individuals but we want to make sure that our accident reports are done correctly so there is less difficulty afterward for all parties involved in the accident. The more individuals working the accident, the faster it will be cleared, and the faster traffic can flow.