Call 811 Before You Dig
Be careful where you dig: It’s FREE and easy to prevent damage to natural gas pipelines
Many of the pipeline leaks and emergencies we respond to each year happen when homeowners and businesses dig on their property without knowing the location of underground utility lines. These types of accidents are called third-party damages and they are easily avoided by calling 811 before you dig – anywhere on your property.
Calling 811 is FREE. When you call 811, the utility lines on your property will be marked, preventing you from damaging them when you dig.
Projects that warrant a call to 811 include the installation of:
Please note that any lines you have installed, such as natural gas lines for grills, decorative lighting, or water or sewer laterals, must be located by a private locating service in addition to the free 811 service.
Once your lines have been marked:
- Always dig around the locate markers - not on them
- Always "hand dig" within 30 inches on each side of the locate markers. Excavation equipment can cause major damage to underground utilities
- Call 811 each time you begin a new project. Erosion or root structure growth may shift the locations of your utility lines
- Always call 811 if excavating, ditching, trenching, drilling or blasting are to be done on or adjacent to your property
When you dig, do so carefully
- Even when pipes are properly marked, accidents happen. If you accidently nick or scrape a pipe, damage or cut the wire buried near the pipe or even see minor damage to a pipe - call Smyrna Natural Gas at 615-355-5740 option 4 so we can come out and inspect the area for potential damage
- Be a pipeline watcher
- Call Smyrna Natural Gas at 615-355-5740 option 4 if you see unauthorized digging or other suspicious activity near our pipelines.
- Only Smyrna Natural Gas employees and our contractors are authorized to dig near our pipelines. Always call 911 for emergencies
Calling 811 in Your State
The national “Call Before You Dig” number is 811, but you can also contact the One-Call Center in your state directly for additional information.
Be sure to tell the operator where you're planning to dig and what type of work you will be doing. Your local utility companies will be notified, and they'll send a locator to mark the location of your underground lines, pipes and cables.
Here is the phone number and website for the One-Call Center in the Smyrna Natural Gas service territories:
Tennessee One-Call Center (TN811)
Call 811 or 1-800-351-1111
811 Call centers generally operate between 8:00am and 5:00pm Monday through Friday, excluding holidays. For an emergency excavation, each call center operates 24 hours a day - every day of the year.
Call Smyrna Natural Gas at (615) 355-5740, option 4 if you smell natural gas or suspect a leak!
Always call 911 for emergencies.